RULES OF THE DOCTORAL’S THESIS CONTEST
THE GENERAL TERMS
1. The following Regulations (hereinafter referred to as the “Regulations”), set out the
conditions for participation in the Podlaski week of prevention and treatment of oncological
disorders ONCOweek, to be held in Białystok on December 2-8, 2019.
2. Podlaski week of prevention and treatment of oncological disorders ONCOweek held in
Bialystok on December 2-8, 2019 is an initiative of the THORAX Foundation, students and
employees of the Medical University of Bialystok (hereinafter referred to as the "Organizer").
3. As part of the Podlaski week of prevention and treatment of oncological disorders
ONCOweek, on December 7th, 2019, doctoral students of medical sciences can submit their
research for the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest in the field of cancer research. Applications of
medical students will not be accepted.
4. The location of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest is the Euroregional Pharmacy Center (ECF)
building, Medical University of Bialystok (Bialystok, 15-001, ul. Mickiewicza 2D).
5. The duration of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest is defined in the Podlaski week of prevention
and treatment of oncological disorders ONCOweek published on the oncoweek.pl website.
6. The official website of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest can be found online at oncoweek.pl.
7. The language of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest is English.
8. The provisions of these Regulations constitute an integral part of the application for
participation in the Doctoral’ Thesis Contest and apply to all Participants.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION
1. Participation in the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest takes two forms:
- passive participant – a participant can take part in lectures during the ONCOweek Conference Team cooperation in oncological treatment and the Doctoral’s Thesis Competition as a free listener
- active participant – a participant can take part in lectures during the ONCOweek Conference Team cooperation in oncological treatment as a free listener, in the Doctoral Competition as a work presenter and actively participate in workshops.
The form of participation should be selected in the Conference registration form.
2. The condition for passive participation:
- submission of the registration form for the ONCOweek Conference Team cooperation in oncological treatment, available on the official website of the oncoweek.pl by December 1st, 2019;
- payment of the conference fee of PLN 60 by December 1st, 2019.
3. The condition of active participation:
- submission of the registration form of the ONCOweek Conference Team cooperation in oncological treatment available on the website by December 1st, 2019;
- payment of the conference fee of PLN 60 by December 1st, 2019;
- submission of the abstract to the email address: email@example.com by November 4th, 2019
4. Co-authors of the papers may participate in the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest as passive
participants of the ONCOweek Conference Team cooperation in oncological treatment.
5. Payments for passive and active participation can be made by bank transfer.
6. The bank transfer should be made to the bank account number
10 1020 1332 0000 1102 1045 6178 (Bank PKO BP)
Transfer title: „ONCOweek KPD, Name, Surname” (np.: ONCOweek KPD, Jan Kowalski).
7. The registration form for passive and active participants will be available on the oncoweek.pl
website on October 1st, 2019.
8. The participant has the right to withdraw from active participation by submitting information
about resignation from participation in the Doctoral Dissertation Competition to the
Organizer by e-mail to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title e-mail:
"Resignation from participation in the Doctoral Dissertation Competition + name of the
participant who resigns. "
9. All cancellations must be submitted before the payment of the active participant fee; any
cancelations thereafter will not be refunded.
RULES FOR SUBMISSION OF WORK
1. The submission to the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest may concern all areas related to oncology –
clinical oncology, pediatric oncology and hematology, oncological surgery, radiotherapy,
radiology and pathomorphology.
2. The subject of the competition evaluation are original papers and medical case reports not
published in magazines.
3. Each active participant can present only one submission.
4. Each active participant may be a co-author of a maximum of 2 submissions.
5. Review papers will not be qualified for submission.
6. The abstract must be prepared in English.
7. The abstract title should be given in English.
8. The abstract text should not contain more than 300 words (the limit does not include the
title of the work, chapters and affiliations of the authors).
9. The abstract should consist of the following parts:
- in the case of original works: introduction, aim of the study, materials and methods, results, conclusions
- for clinical case descriptions: introduction, aim of the study, case description, conclusions.
10. The abstract cannot contain tables, charts and drawings.
11. The abstract should be sent in .doc or .docx format with the following information:
- the title of work in English;
- names of all authors with affiliation;
- first and last name of the co-author who will submit work during the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest;
- e-mail address to which information about the qualifications results should be sent according to the ABSTRACT PATTERN made available by the Organizer on the official website of the Conference.
12. The required font is Times New Roman, 11; single space.
13. The completed ABSTRACT PATTERN should be sent by e-mail to
email@example.com by November 4th, 2019, with the title "ONCOweek KPD, Name
Surname" (e.g. ONCOweek KPD, Jan Kowalski) in the title.
RULES OF WORK QUALIFICATION
1. The organizer appoints a Qualifying Committee, which will verify the submissions to be
presented during the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
2. The Admissions Committee will select the best abstracts for oral presentation during the
Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
3. Each applicant will be notified of the qualification results electronically by November 24th,
2019. (information will be sent to the e-mail address provided in the electronic message
when sending the abstract).
4. The Qualifying Committee reserves the right to change the number of works presented
during the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
5. Works that do not meet the conditions specified in these Regulations will be rejected.
6. The Qualifying Committees decision to accept or reject is final.
RULES OF WORK PRESENTATION
1. Qualified work should include the abstract and be sent by one of its co-authors in an
electronic form via email.
2. The authors of the work are required to prepare a multimedia presentation in MS Office
Power Point in accordance with the template available for download on the Conference
website. All animations and sound files in presentations are attached by the authors at their
3. The presentation should be made available to the e-mail address according to the guide
available on the Organizers website along with the name of the person presenting and the
title of work on firstname.lastname@example.org by December 4th, 2019.
4. Failure to submit a multimedia presentation within the time limit will result in the removal of
the work from the list of works presented during the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
5. Qualified submissions will be presented according to the schedule set by the Organizer.
6. The schedule of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest will be published on the Conference website by
December 6th, 2019.
7. The organizer reserves the right to amend the schedule of the Conference ONCOweek Team
cooperation in oncological treatment and Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
8. In justified cases, the work may be presented by another author, after informing the
Organizer (minimum 24 hours).
9. The presentation cannot be longer than 7 minutes, followed by a 3-minute discussion with
10. The papers should be presented orally in English.
11. The discussion with the Jury will be in English.
12. All authors (registered as passive participants) have the right to participate in the discussion.
13. The person conducting the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest may interrupt the presentation or
discussion in the event of exceeding the set time.
14. The person presenting will receive a Work Award Certificate.
PRINCIPLES FOR THE EVALUATION OF WORKS
1. The organizer is obliged to appoint a jury composed of specialists from a given field
corresponding to the subject of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest.
2. Elements of the presentation judged by the Jury:
- substantive value;
- legibility of the presented content and the manner of their presentation;
- manner and form of discussion.
3. Based on the sum of the marks awarded by the Jury, the best 3 presentations will be selected
(I place, II place, I award).
4. In the case of obtaining the same number of points by two or more presentations, the
chairman of the Jury will have the deciding vote.
5. The results of the Doctoral’s Thesis Contest will be presented on the same day, i.e. on
December 7th, 2019, around 17.00.
6. Information on results will not be provided by phone or e-mail.
7. The jurys decision is final and irrevocable.
CONSENT TO THE USE OF THE IMAGE
1. During the Conference, the Organizer may conduct photo sessions and film the course of the
Conference for the purpose of broadcasting in mass media (television, radio, Internet, press)
or for the purposes of documentation, promotion, advertising of the Organizer and other
persons indicated by the Organizer. 2. Any participation in the Conference will constitute
acceptance to the recording, use and / or dissemination by the Organizer, related entities of
the image / voice / speech of each Participant in all promotional and marketing materials
without time and territorial restrictions.
2. Consent is given to the fact that photographs, films or recordings made during the
Conference may be placed on the Conference website or another managed by him and used
in promotional materials, also disseminated for this purpose by means of vision or audio. The
participant hereby waives all claims (existing and future), including remuneration against the
Organizer for using their image / voice / speech for the purposes specified in these
1. Submitting a Participant to participate in the Conference will constitute acceptanceof these
Regulations and their consent to the processing of their personal data by the Organizer on
the principles resulting from generally applicable law.
2. Submission of the work by the authors is also a consent to the publication of abstracts in the
Abstract Book and to provide information on the title of work, authors and results of the
competition on the Conference website and in social media on the events official page on
3. The organizer reserves the right to change dates. At the same time, he is obliged to inform
about this fact by publishing information on the Conference website and in social media on
the official event page on Facebook facebook.com/oncoweek.
4. All disputes not included in these Regulations will be settled by the Organizer.
5. According to the Act of May 10, 2018 on the protection of personal data (Journal of Laws of
2018, item 1000, as amended) and the GDPR (Regulation of the European Parliament and of
the Council (EU) 2016/679 of April 27 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to
the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing
Directive 95/46 / EC (General Data Protection Regulation) (Official Journal EU L 119 of
04/05/2016) Organizer of the Conference does not transfer, sell or lend the collected
personal data of Participants to other persons or institutions.The personal data provided by
the Participant is treated as confidential information and is used only for the purpose of
communication between the Participant and the Conference Organizer.
6. These Regulations enter into force on the day of its publication.